Finding a Doctor
- Call CIEE for assistance.
- Go online to find hospitals, clinics, and emergency rooms.
The quickest and most convenient way for you to get medical treatment for non-emergency situations is to go to a walk-in clinic or urgent care center. Benefits of these facilities include:
- They are open on weekends and often in the evenings.
- The wait is usually much shorter than an emergency room.
- The cost is less than visiting an emergency room.
- You do not have to make an appointment nor have a relationship with the doctor to be seen and treated.
Emergency rooms and hospitals are for life-threatening situations. If you feel your life is in danger, go directly to the closest hospital for treatment and contact CIEE as soon as possible. If you go to the emergency room for a non-emergency, you will most likely have to wait several hours to be seen and could incur higher costs than your co-pay. If you need to go to the hospital or clinic but it is not life-threatening, take transportation such as a cab, bus, or subway, or ask a friend to drive you. Ambulances are for medical emergencies only.
- If you currently take medication and will continue this medication while on the program, you should bring enough to last the duration of the program, and you should have all these products properly packaged and labeled before leaving your home country. Please check with your local embassy about any specific documents you may need to enter the U.S. with this medication.
- If you lose or run out of your medication, you will have to visit a U.S. doctor. Your prescription from home is not valid in the US. CIEE recommends you bring enough medication for the duration of your program. Note that the dispensing of birth control is not a free service in the United States, nor is it covered by your insurance.
- If you need medicine after you arrive in the U.S., please contact CIEE for additional assistance.
Your policy has limited dental coverage. CIEE recommends seeing a dentist prior to coming on your program. For complete dental coverage information please visit the insurance website at: www.ciee.org/insurance.